I love eggplant. It’s one of those vegetables that’s so versatile, and really hearty. Growing up, aside from having eggplant parmigana, I didn’t realize how many possibilities there are. So, I decided to just throw a few things in a pan and hope for the best. Instead of having it over pasta, I thought using quinoa instead would be a nice change of pace. We have tortellini at least once a week, and I don’t want to over do it with the pasta.
This recipe definitely has a slow cooking, involved taste. But it’s actually quite easy! We actually had a little leftover and added it to our typical tortellini dinner later in the week, and it was great. I could definitely see some additions to the stew such as mushrooms, peas, etc. The possibilities are endless.
Chunky Eggplant Quinoa
– Serves 3 –
1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced into large chunks
1 can (15.5 oz) diced tomatoes (preferably with herb seasoning)
2 cloves of garlic, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 cup quinoa
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
*red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine vinegars in medium bowl, add diced eggplant and make sure they’re fully coated. Place on greased baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.
3. While the eggplant is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and garlic, sauté about 5 minutes, until onion is translucent and garlic is starting to brown.
4. Add tomatoes, and simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat.
5. Cook quinoa according to package
6. Add the cooked eggplant to the tomato, onion, and garlic, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, making sure everything is combined.
7. Serve the eggplant mixture over the quinoa, and top with some red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese.
2 thoughts on “Chunky Eggplant Quinoa”
Wow this looks good
I love eggplant too I cook it once a week I’m gonna try this one thanks
Wow this looks amazing! I need to go get eggplant!